Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tough Love: DISCIPLINE

Hello healthy people! How's it going? I hope you've checked out my new site, Succeed At Fitness.com, by now. There's lots of great info. and resources on there to help you succeed in your fitness and nutrition goals, so please take advantage of it! My goal is to help encourage, motivate and support you and Succeed At Fitness is one way to help me achieve my goal, so support me in my effort to support you by visiting the site.

Now on to the subject of this blog post, a first in my "Tough Love" series: DISCIPLINE.  According to Dictionary.com, there a number of definitions for the word: (1) "training to act in accordance with rules", (2) "activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill", (3) "behavior in accord with rules of conduct"... that's just a few. But to sum it up, discipline is doing what other's won't do in order to achieve your goals. A lot of us like to make excuses for why we can't, or better yet, why we won't do things. When it comes to exercise, "I don't have the time" or "I don't have the right equipment" or the lamest excuse in the book (mostly used by women) "I don't want to sweat." And when it comes to diet, "I just don't have the time to cook my own meals", "I refuse to calorie count!", "Eating healthy costs too much", and the most honest (but still equally as lame) excuse of them all "I just don't want to change how I'm eating". Any of these statements sound familiar? If so, you're not alone. You're not the only one whose used them, I've used quite a few of these excuses in the past myself. The key word is EXCUSES. Let's say time really is a factor, the reality is, you make time for the things you really want to do. If it takes getting up at 4 am every morning in order for you to get your exercise in (and I actually know a couple of people who do this) then start getting up at 4 am every morning! It might take waiting until 10 pm every night, then start exercising at 10pm every night! I hate to sound judgmental, sarcastic, or mean, but it's really that simple. Finding the time in the day to do these things actually isn't the hard part, the hard part is having the self discipline to start and then continue doing them.

If getting fit and eating healthy was easy, everyone would do it! There would be no overweight people in the world and the thousands of diet programs out there would have no need to exist. It's not easy, but nothing worth having comes without great sacrifice. When you become self disciplined, failure simply isn't an option anymore. Success is the only word you're going to accept. It's not a short road or an easy road, but it's the one that you will look back on and treasure because YOU DID IT! You passed the finish line when there were times where you couldn't even see the road in front of you! From my own personal experience I can tell you that there is no greater feeling than that!

DISCIPLINE: DOING WHAT OTHERS WON'T DO. Set your self away from the crowd! Be a leader, not a follower! Don't allow any of the negative thoughts that come into your head to stay there! You CAN do this, you WILL do this, and that's just all there is to it.  

Need some more encouragment? Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cM_jb0tVs and I dare you to use the word "can't" ever again!



It's tough love, peeps, but it's necessary sometimes.
Stay disciplined and be encouraged!
Jonelle

No comments:

Post a Comment