Thursday, January 17, 2013

Living The Healthy Life

Happy New Year fitness fans! :) How's it going? Good I hope! This is my first real, official, blog post of 2013! Can you believe it? WE ARE IN THE YEAR 2013! Coming from this 1980s baby that sounds kinda' when spoken out loud (guess I'm showing my age, lol) but wow, what a blessing! Another year, another chance to get it right! And hey, maybe you've already got this fitness & nutrition thing down, but just remember, no one knows it all and you can never learn too much so we've got a whole new year to learn more and just keep getting better! :)

So the subject: "Living The Healthy Life", now what do I mean by that? As I said before, we're at the start of a new year. While the media and most people are preaching to you on how to lose weight by trying to sell you the latest diet, piece of exercise equipment or at-home DVD fitness program, I'm not here for that. Don't get me wrong, all those things are well & good and have their place, none of them will be effective if you don't change your mindset first.

When I say "change your mindset", I mean that you have to stop thinking of diets or even exercise as being "the answer". They're a huge part of the answer but by themselves they won't work. The key is changing your mindset to stop thinking of  nutrition and fitness as "the thing you're doing right to lose weight" but as your new lifestyle. You see, the only true way for diet & exercise to be effective is to incorporate it as a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. They say it takes 21 days/3 weeks to form a habit, and I've found this to be very true. You stick to anything for 3 weeks and you can, if you truly want to, continue it for life! By 3 weeks time, your body has gotten used to the new taste of the healthier foods you're feeding it or  the feel of working out everyday. Our bodies are truly AMAZING!!! (When God made us He knew what He was doing!) It doesn't take our bodies very long to adapt at all! In 3 weeks time, whatever you're doing has become apart of your lifestyle! You are now officially LIVING THE HEALTHY LIFE!

So as a part of my new year's resolutions, I've come to the conclusion that I want to officially stop using the word "diet" because not only does it leave a bad taste in most people's mouths from years of yo-yo dieting and diets full of bad tasting pre-packaged foods, but it usually refers to something temporary - and that's exactly the mindset I want us all to get out of! Eating healthy should not be a temporary thing, but an EVERYDAY OCCURRENCE. Working out should not be something we do only when we want to lose weight, but with all of the benefits that come from exercising, fitness should be apart of our EVERYDAY LIVES. So start living the healthy life today!






No comments:

Post a Comment